Please excuse the tardiness of this month’s installment of Casual Cosplay of the Day, but it took some doing to get this post up and running!
With my birthday and vacation and other adventures, this post got put to the wayside, but I was determined to share this magical ensemble with you all—even teasing it over on Instagram. So I will not delay any further!
In honor of my Golden Birthday, and Harry Potter/J.K. Rowling’s birthday, here’s my Harry Potter-inspired look!
This look is perhaps the most loosely-based Casual Cosplay, and there’s a reason for that: as much as I love Harry Potter, I have very little HP garb. I have this tee and nothing else. But I did pick up this skirt as an impulse, and it reminds me so much of Luna Lovegood’s unicorn skirt. I figured that the skirt would lend itself to the spirit of this month’s theme, and dress up the t-shirt. To further dress it up, I added these nude, open-toe heels.
Since I was also celebrating my Golden Birthday with this look, I wanted to bring that into my makeup and have lots of fun. I incorporated understated gold tones (obviously), with fun colors to make this magical.
Then, to further push the Harry Potter theme, I wore lion-themed accessories. My earrings are Leo constellation crawlers, and I’m wearing a lion pendant. These do double-duty: they represent Gryffindor and my zodiac sign!
Finally, just for fun, I curled my bangs into a victory roll to add just a little more whimsy.
If you’re thinking of doing a Harry Potter casual cosplay, keep these points in mind:
- The Harry Potter theme lends itself well to cooler weather, but you can always modify depending on the season.
- Think of emerald greens, golds, ruby reds, and navy blues as you compile your outfits. These, of course, represent the House colors.
- Basic gray makes for a good ensemble base (if you’re going for the Hogwarts uniform look).
- Pick your favorite character and base your outfit off of them! For example: if Luna is your favorite, you can definitely mix patterns, funky accessories, and definitely incorporate pastels.
- Since the Harry Potter universe revolves around magic–an ancient craft–you can definitely go with a vintage style for your look. I tried to capture that here.
I hope this inspires you to create your own Harry Potter look! If you do piece together an ensemble, make sure you share it with me on Facebook, Instagram, or Twitter, and use @nerdilyccod! Also, don’t forget that next month’s theme is 90s cartoons!
Until next time, nerds!
Life was meant to be lived nerdily, so what are you waiting for?